Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Greater Plan

Susan Schaeffer Macaulay wrote in her book, For the Children's Sake:

"Try a simple experiment. Take a small child on your knee. Respect him. Do not see him as something to prune, form, or mold. This is an individual who thinks, acts, and feels. He is a separate human being whose strength lies in who he is, not in who he will become."

"Many adults now 'have' a child in the same way that they 'have' a washing machine or a collie dog. We must answer: No. You are holding a person on your knee. And that is wonderful."

"Look well at the child on your knee. In whatever condition you find him, look with reverence. We can only love him and serve him and be his friend. We cannot own him. He is not ours."

I have recently finished this book mentioned above for the second time. It was the first book recommended to me before we were homeschooling . . . it left an impression on me and I felt I needed to read it again. Again I was impressed with this thought.

God has blessed me with these children that so often I do refer to as 'mine' . . . and yet here I am reminded that they are separate human beings created in the image of God. They are not mine, but God's. God has a plan for them . . . a greater plan than I could give them.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah,

    I really enjoyed your insight into Susan Schaffeur McCauley's book. I've been inspired by your second reading and all the good things you have to say about "For the Children's Sake".

    I've read Chapter 1 and 6 so far. Planning to read the rest next week.

    Your gardens look super. Way to go Jon and Rebekah, Larissa, and Josiah too!!!!

    Blessings!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...