Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Free from fretfulness . . . in the midst of afflictions

O Lord, my God . . . give me grace, I beseech Thee, to understand the meaning of such afflictions and disappointments as I myself am called upon to endure. Deliver me from all fretfulness. Let me be wise to draw from every dispensation of Thy providence the lesson Thou art mindful to teach me.
Give me a stout heart to bear my own burdens. Give me a willing heart to bear the burdens of others. Give me a believing heart to cast all burdens upon Thee.
Glory be to Thee, O Father, and to Thee, O Christ, and to Thee, O Holy Spirit, for ever and ever. Amen.

~ John Baillie, twenty-seven day from A Diary of Private Prayer

Cast your burden on the Lord
and he will sustain you; 
he will never permit the righteous to be moved. 
Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...