Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Monday, January 28, 2013

Much More {Lessons Learned in the kitchen: The Best Chocolate Pudding}



The way he asked, how could I say no.

I really did not feel like it. The dishes washed up and the kitchen cleaned already, I really did not want to dirty another pot, nearing the end of the day.


"Mom, can you please make your chocolate pudding tonight?"


And, here, I've been thinking about Intentional Motherhood; how I need to serve with love these children of mine. 


I hesitate, but I talk to myself, "why not? It is only a few dirty dishes and about 20 minutes of my time."

Just because I don't feel like it, is no reason to refuse him.

I gather the ingredients and dig out the recipe that my mom has given to me; the same recipe that my Grandma used to make pudding for us sometimes when we arrived home from school.




While I'm at the stove, whisking the milk and cocoa and sugar and slowly adding in the tempered eggs, he comes up, leans in close and hugs me. No words.

And when he has licked the whisk and the chocolate pudding left in the pot and every last spoonful in his bowl, he comes back with a smile, stands beside me again and leaves these words with me, 


"Thanks Mom, you make the best chocolate pudding!"



It is not really about the chocolate pudding I made him, but the small act of love and kindness.

I'm thankful that this time I chose wisely, for there have been too many times that I've let my own sin and selfishness refuse my own precious children small acts of love.

God has placed this natural affection, the love of the Father, in our hearts, to bestow on our children good gifts. Even though I am evil, I can find it in my heart, and allow my hands to give to my children.

And, yet, how much more!!! 

God my Father, who is Love, has given me much more!
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
Romans 8:32
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,
2 Peter 1:3
I simply need to ask.
"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
John 16:24
And in receiving, give thanks
And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Ephesians 5:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...