Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Friday, January 31, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Hero



I don't know, maybe I should have lived believing there really were heroes.

Maybe I should have slipped on some rose coloured glasses so I could have some super vision and read a few more fairy tales.

I didn't buy into the whole hero thing growing up. I never was interesting in popular culture heroes and cartoons on saturday morning. No way. Couldn't stand them.

I wanted real life. Heroes were more for fantasy and the extraordinary.

I lived real life. I didn't see a whole lot of extraordinary in my ordinary world.

Or maybe I just wasn't looking.

When I asked my children this morning, what they think of when they hear the word hero, my son, he tells me while he chewing his toast dripping strawberry jam, it depends on how it's written.

If it's written with zig zags he thinks of the heroes in the Bible.

I stop right there and I believe the boy's on to something.

Maybe it is how we see it?

Are we looking for something grand, some marvellous action, something with the word super in front of it?

Don't true heroes look more like humility and laying one self down for the love and benefit of another?

Heroes don't need huge stories and brazen feats to make them legendary, but a humble spirit and a bold faith to live out their lives sacrificially.

Heroes live their ordinary lives without seeking their own fame, and believe God will do the extraordinary in their lives for the glory of His name.

Maybe I did grow up believing in heroes after all.

Cause when I crack open the simple-folk stories of lives around me, I see zig zags too.

***
Linking with Five Minute Friday at Lisa-Jo's place. This week the prompt is: Hero

Officially, the rules are:

Five Minute Friday1. Write for 5 minutes
2. Link up at Lisa-Jo's  and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community...


5 comments:

  1. Love your post! Found you on 5MF.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stole my heart here. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! "Heroes don't need huge stories and brazen feats to make them legendary, but a humble spirit and a bold faith to live out their lives sacrificially." Constantly praying for this grace of sacrificial, selfless living. So contrary to our nature and so completely natural to our identity in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Rebekah,
    I particularly like the zigzag. And I too believe heroes are people who follow Christ and His example. Walking humbly with God.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! Heroes are all around us! The folks that allow God to work through them while ministering to and encouraging others are some of my favorites. But the best Hero in my life is Jesus! Let me tell you, He saved my life and I am so grateful!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...